Thursday, June 30, 2011
Welcome to another DIY THURSDAYS. Every week I will introduce some DIY beauty treatments that will not only help you look beautiful but will not cut a hole in your wallet.
This week I thought I would make it even easier with 5 different face masks that only require one ingredient. It can not get any simpler, I hope that you give these a try and let me know how you enjoyed the treatments.
1. Honey -- A humectant, honey, attracts and retains moisture, so it's great for anyone who wants to combat dry skin. Use a cloth damp with warm water and pat skin to open pores. Smear honey onto skin and leave on for 15 to 30 minutes. Rinse off with warm water, then pat skin with a cloth dampened in cold water to close pores
2. Raw egg yolk -- Egg yolks are high in vitamin A, a common ingredient in acne-fighting products. Spread on face and neck and leave on skin for 30 minutes. Rinse with cool water.
3. Raw egg white -- You'll get a lifting effect as the protein in egg whites dries on your skin. Beat egg white until frothy and spread on face. Wait until it dries and rinse off with warm water.
4. Grapes -- They contain powerful antioxidants, called polyphenols, which help combat aging. Cut one grape in half and rub lightly all over face.
5. Banana -- Bananas are one of the most nourishing fruits available because they contain magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, iodine, folic acid, and vitamins A, B, and E, all of which benefit the skin. Mash one overripe banana and spread onto face. Rinse off after 15 to 30 minutes with warm water.
LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THESE MASK. LET ME KNOW ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH DIY FACIAL MASKS.
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Summer is here and everyone is making plans to go to the beach (well at least here is southern california) or take a swim in the backyard pool. Summer is a great time of year (even though I am not a fan of the heat) and the last thing most people are thinking of is protecting your skin.
When I was younger I enjoyed the nice tan I would get in the warmer months of the year, but I am noticing the beating my skin is taking. The last 2 years I have noticed uneven skin tones all over and how dry my skin can be. This is due to the fact that I thought it was okay that I can be out in the sun all day without applying some sunblock. Although, we should all be applying sunblock everyday, year round, summer marks a time of the year that you should be carry sunblock in your purse or car.
Skin Cancer should be the number one reason you should protect your skin. Also, aging spots, uneven skin tone, sun burn, dyhydrated skin are naming a few of the things that can happen. For most of us, we are doing everything we can to continue looking young and beautiful (as we all are), so adding some sunblock to the list of your daily regeiments will make a huge difference.
Remember that even though you may not notice any change in your skin and may think that you have nothing to worry about, as you age you will see the damage you have created and may not be able to remedy everything. There are so many different types of sunblocks, so instead of a never ending list, I listed 3 below that can be used by everyone. Find a product that fits your needs and remember to look at the products you already use, because some come in a formula that includes SPF (its killing two birds with one stone).
1. Bare Minerals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen ($28) - This is a great product and from what have read it has received good reviews. This is a powder that can be used over your regular makeup as a setting powder and will provide sun protection. It will not clog your pores and it great to use with oily skin. If you do not want to add another lotion to your face, this is a great product.
Zinc Oxide is known worldwide for its sun protection qualities. Face Potion SPF 45 goes on clear and protects the skin against both UVA & UVB sun rays. It is ideal for all outdoor activities. It will not clog pores, can be used all over your body, Hypo-Allergenic, Fragrance-free, absorbs quickly, and water resistant. This is a classic that can be used by everyone and affordable.
3. Banana Boat - I have to included this brand of sunscreen because I have been using this for about a year now and have no complaints. Banana Boat has a wide range of products to provide a sunblock to fit everyone's needs. The spf ranges from 20 - 80, and come in sprays and creams. For better protection make sure you get spf 80.
No Matter what Sunscreen/Sunblock that you choose, make sure that you do not leave the house without applying it. Your skin will thank you.
PLEASE COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE SUNSCREEN/SUNBLOCK.
Friday, June 24, 2011
When I first started having issues with my skin (i.e. acne and hyper-pigmentation), I bought every product that promised a quick fix. Of course, I found that most of the products do not make a real difference (just wish I realized that before spending all that money, oh well).
I did a little more research and found several treatments, facials, scrubs, etc that only required a few ingredients that I already had in the kitchen. This is when I fell in love with DIY (Do It Yourself). Not only is this method more affordable, but most of the time you are using natural products that have beneficial qualities.
I have seen much more focus on DIY beauty treatments and would like to share some one treatment each week. I have tried so many things, sometimes I love it and make it part of my routine and others times I only try it once.
All the ingredients are easy to obtain, so I hope that you try it and please let me know what you think.
Honey is the most important ingredient in this facial. Honey has been proven to be a natural humectant that hydrates the skin.
This facial only requires 3 ingredients, which will clean and hydrate your skin.
DIY FACIAL WITH HONEY
Makes 1 treatment (Use within 2-3 hours)
1 tablespoon honey (cleanses and moisturizes)
¼ cup of oatmeal (soothes skin; rich in Vitamin E)
3 tablespoon plain yogurt or Greek yogurt (softens and soothes)
1. Finely grind oatmeal using a blender or food processor; set aside.
2. Using a spatula, stir together honey and yogurt in a small bowl.
3. Add the finely ground oatmeal to the mixture and mix thoroughly. Consistency should be smooth.
4. Apply mixture to face and neck. Leave it on the skin for 10-15 minutes.
5. Rinse with warm water.
PLEASE COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS. IF YOU TRY THIS FACIAL PLEASE COMMENT ON YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Wednesday, June 1, 2011
PLEASE CHECK OUT THIS WEEK'S POST ON CURVY LADY OR READ BELOW. PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS.
By Charley from Defining Your Beauty
Affirm your New Path
First of all, I hope that everyone is doing well and has found a little motivation to have a productive week. The last 2 weeks I have written post on Motivation and this post is somewhat a continuation from that topic.
Now that you are finding ways to motivate yourself, you are looking for little activities that will assist you in staying in this mind set. Since I can remember I have been told to include affirmation in my everyday activities.
An affirmation is a positive statement that counters a negative feeling or situation in your life. It is in the present tense and reveals something that you want to happen. Affirmations help you convince yourself that you can do or be something that your mind does not accept.
An affirmation will improve your life and help you accept all the positive that surrounds you. All of us are strong and have at least one great thing in our lives. I will admit that I have moments when I feel alone and like I have nothing good in my life. In reality, I am grateful for life, having a place to call home, and a family that supports me (even though I do not always see it), and many other things.
We are capable of surrounding ourselves with so much negative energy and it becomes difficult to see through the cloud. Although I was introduced to affirmation when I was younger, I have only started to use them in my everyday life recently and I will admit that things are changing for the better.
It begins with changing all your negative thoughts to will positive phrases. You can create your own affirmations or repeat the thousands that have been written (and are useful).
A personal example would be when I feel overwhelmed and do not believe I can handle something. I simply repeat (aloud or to myself) I AM STRENGTH, I AM STRENGTH, I AM STRENGTH, ETC… It is a simple statement, but I am able to convince myself that I am truly strong and then able to tackle whatever is placed in my path.
So many people do this already, with putting small notes around their home saying, it’s going to be okay, you can do this, just breath, and there are so many others I have seen in peoples’ homes. Also, hanging a small dress or photo of a fit person on your wall to encourage you to lose weight, this is a visual affirmation, you are telling yourself everyday when you look at it that you are going to fit into that dress or look a certain way.
Take five minutes from your morning to let affirmations lead your day in a positive direction.
· I prosper wherever I turn and I know that I deserve prosperity of all kinds
· The more grateful I am, the more reasons I find to be grateful
· I pay my bills with love as I know abundance flows freely through me.
· I have a wonderful partner and we are both happy and at peace
· I release any desperation and allow love to find me
· I attract only healthy relationships
· I am the perfect weight for me
· I choose to make positive healthy choices for myself
· I choose to exercise regularly
· When I believe in myself, so do others
· I express my needs and feelings
· I am my own unique self - special, creative and wonderful
Here is a nice quote written by a friend of mine:
I'm a dreamer at heart with the powerful belief in rising from the ashes. And while I may often view the world through rose-colored glasses, I know enough to say that the power of belief-hope, strength, courage, and acceptance are possibly the most important elements for moving forward and overcoming all obstacles in life.
LET ME KNOW WHAT AFFIRMATIONS YOU LIKE AND HOW THEY CHANGE YOUR LIFE.
Posted by Charley at 10:03 AM